Monday, September 18, 2006

Grape Pickin'


Tomorrow, I leave for 2 weeks of work at the Chateau Le Vieux Chevrol in the Lalande Pomerol near Bordeaux. This will be the sixth year I have done this and I really look forward to the 2 weeks of mindless labor. I get to cut grapes, carry them on my back, sort them and drive tractors! It's a great experience for me because I cannot speak very much English as most of the workers are French or Moroccan and Algerian. There are a few old Dutch guys...I am the only American.
It's a continuing education, each year I learn more about how a great wine is made. They do not use pesticides and all the weeding is mechanical. The owner, Jean Pierre Champseix really tries to educate us about wine, there are trips to other chateaux and we have tastings designed to educate our palates.
We work hard have good food and get to sample lots of the product!
I am away from radio, television and the computer for the entire time so I say temporarily, goodbye and see you in 2 weeks. If you come to this page, please look at the 3 Song Hit List and leave your favorites! I will publish all lists and your comments when I get back!
I will also do some posts about working in an environment where most people have never met an American before. I'm not what they would expect........
a bientot!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ToledoLefty's 3 Song Hit List (fun idea):

Ritchie Havens, "Lives in the Balance"
The Indigo Girls, "Ghost"
Prince, "I Would Die 4 U"