Monday, December 04, 2006

New Kid on the News Block


On Wednesday, December 6, a new 24 hour news station will be available in English via Cable, Satellite and the Internet! FRANCE 24 officially starts its English language broadcast. In Western Europe, it will be available on the ASTRA 2 satellite at 19.2 East. The slogan in English of the channel is "Everything You Are Not Supposed To Know"
Music, News, Culture, Sports, Business...definitely a real alternative to BBC and CNN as well as being the equivalent of the Anti-Christ to FOX!
I am so used to hearing the French News in French. After an hour or so of harsh BBC or strident CNN voices it is always a relief for me to come back to the soft tones of the French newscasters. From what I have heard of the promos on the internet, though, the speakers all have English accents. I am trying to find out what Satellite to aim at in North America. I know that Sky News is carrying it in addition to its broadcasts. If you have access to it, check it out for another point of view, though I am sure you will never have the pleasure of experiencing the TF1 lunch time news, with regional reportage on local festivals, crafts and foods everyday. We always get dreamy as the reports go on about how potato tarts are made in the Auvergne or in depth serious studies of why the famous boudiour biscuits made in Reims are pink.

2 comments:

-Sepp said...

I'll be sure to check it out!

Agi said...

I'd defintely watch it - although I'm not sure if my cable provider will carry it here in Southern California.