Saturday, January 13, 2007

Say Munster!

Our featured cheese today is Munster! An apt choice because we are still in mourning over the passing of Yvonne DeCarlo.
There are two varieties of Munster made in Alsace. Munster and Munster-Gerome, They are very similiar and made very near each other, but the Gerome is a little more pungent and more to my taste.
Until I moved to Europe, I had only eaten the American style Munster available in grocery stores. A white rather tasteless bland cheese, it did have the orange rind. The commercial American variety is also made in Mexico, where there is a real German influence in the dairy industry and music if you listen to those bass lines in mariachi music. It is used a lot in Mexican melted cheese toppings.
What a shock I was in for when I first encountered a real Alsatian Munster! It has a yellow orange rind and is a soft, pungent cheese. The rind gets moist and a liittle slippery as it ages and the odor and taste develops as it gets more runny.
It was first made by Benedictine monks in the middle ages in the Southern part of the Vosges Mountains in the Fecht Valley. The name derives from the name of the village in Latin, Monestarium, now Munster.
The cows are a race particular to the Vosges and eat the herbs and grasses in the region which give character to the cheese. It is made in the traditional fashion, the curd is crumbled and packed into molds, left to dry then aged in cellars for at least three weeks. During this time it is washed with salt water and turned every two days.
I like Munster plain with bread. A very good way to enjoy it is with small boiled potatoes with their skins on. You just let the cheese melt over the hot potatoes right before yyou serve them. If you have only tried American sttyle munster cheese, look for a real Alsatian Munster-Gerome. The small, Petit Geromes are more pungent than the large ones.
One of my favorites

4 comments:

Jeannie T's Travel Blog said...

Loved your blog on the Munster gerome. Tried the cheese for the first time today and loved loved loved it. Went on the internet in search of more info about the cheese and found your page.

Jeannie T's Travel Blog said...

Patrick,

Thanks for your recommendations. Epoisse has always been one of my favorites but I have never tried Livarot. Will have to look out for it. BTW, I am no wine expert- only know what I like and what I don't. However I do know that Pomerols are delicious!
- Jeannie

bangkok101 said...

I live in Thailand.

A rice country. Where cheese is usually the processed type.

But the other day I found my p'tit munster. PETIT MUNSTER GEROME.

On promotion,too. Buy one get one free. Reflets de France, the brand.

So smelly and so good.

John K Lindgren

Bangkok

http://www.carsanook.com

microdot said...

John, very nice to hear from you.
I have 2 nephews who live in your city...
One enjoys French food and the other actually tries to cook it.
We recieved an email from him yesterday describibg a Northern French Fish soup he had been able to prepare using a recipe from the Petite LaRousse.....

a bientot