Friday, June 22, 2007

Fete de la Musique 2007


Today, the 21st of June is not only the Summer Solstice, but here in France it is the Fete de la Musique. Music is celebrated and played everywhere. I want to celebrate it here at the brain police by sharing this video of Astor Piazolla, the great bandoneon player and tango composer playing Adios Nanino live in 1980!
Piazolla was born in New York and his family emigrated to Argentina and he went on to become the greatest Argentinian composer of the 20th Century. He reinvented and revitaliized the form of tango. I was lucky enough to see him a few times in New York.
Passionate, intimate intelligent music for any Fete!

6 comments:

mud_rake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mud_rake said...

BRAVO! Now that's the way to welcome summer. Merci.

historymike said...

Thanks fot the musical interlude, microdot, plus introducing me to a new (to me) word: bandoneon.

I was previously familiar only with its cousins, the concertina and accordion.

mud_rake said...

My grandmother played the concertina on occasion and I was awed by her presentation. I am now the owner of said musical instrument, but cannot play a note.

microdot said...

I would love to be able to play a button style accordion. I can play a regular accordion but barely...
I had the honor of knowing a truly great musette master. He was a one man encyclopedia of tango, the passo and the tradition fo Parisian bal musette. He had his portrait painted by Robert Crumb and sadly passed away a few years ago. At 70 years old, he was still capable of seducing young women with his instrument!

ohdave said...

MD, I attended the fete in 1997 and have been dying to return ever since.

Maybe next year.