Saturday, June 30, 2007

Fresh Raspberry Linzer Tart

This is a little embarrassing, as I like to have a picture of the finished product.
We took a number of pictures last night with the digital camera and somehow a glitch erased them and we ate the Tart!
Yes, with the help of a friend, we ate the entire tart. With good reason, this is one of the most incredible desserts I have ever had. The crisp linzer crust and raspberry confiture acts as a stage set for the the fresh raspberries. This mix of textures and tastes is incredible, plus it is incredibly beautiful to look at. Take my word for it!
It is relatively simple:
The Linzer Crust:( this recipe makes more than you need for one tart, but it freezes well!)
250 grams of flour
150 grams of sugar
150 grams of powdered almonds
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
10 grams of unsweetened cocoa powder
200 grams of butter

Mix all the ingredients together quickly until they form a homogenized ball.
You can melt the butter to mix it, but make sure it is not too hot when you pour it in.
Spread the crust, push it into shape with your fingers, into a tart pan...as usual, I recommend one with a removable bottom. Refrigerate for at least a half hour. Preheat the oven to 325 farenheit, poke some holes in the crust with a fork and bake it about 15 minutes. The tricky part is to make sure it is done and not burnt, because the crust has the cinnamon and cocoa, it is already a dark shade.

Let it cool.
Then spread it with Raspberry Jam, at least a 1/4 inch layer. Then artfully cover the surface of the tart with fresh raspberries. You can dust it with powdered sugar before eating.
This combination of fresh raspberries and the confiture on the crisp spicy crust makes the most delicious tart I have ever had in my life! Of course, I love raspberries. My raspberry plants are beginning to wind down. I think there is another week left of berries. All in all, we've gotten 1 to 2 kilos a day for the last 3 of so weeks. There are 30 some jars of jam and a freezer of frozen berries.

Speaking of the confiture, I have 2 cassis bushes which produced a bowlfull of berries this year. There were enough to make on big jar of cassis/raspberry jam which turned out to be an incredible combination! Next year I will have much more cassis!

I learned a few days ago that I am leaving on Tuesday morning for another 10 days or so of work at Chateau Vieux Chevrols on the grape vines. I will be out of touch again with most media. All I have is my radio. I am going to read Lee Iacoccas book "Where Have All The Leaders Gone?". I'll let you know what I think of it.

Now I have forced lawn cutting and trying to tie up all the little projects and loose ends running free range around here!
Bon Apetit, bien sur!

No comments: