Friday, April 04, 2008

Twist and Turn, Spin and Swivel....

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. "seems a bigger man" than he did 40 years ago on the day of his death, Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Friday as he stood outside the motel where the civil rights leader was slain.

"The quality of his character is only more apparent. His good name will be honored as long as the creed of America is honored," McCain said in front of the balcony where King was shot in 1968.

All three of the presidential candidates marked the anniversary of King's death. Although McCain, who once voted against creating a national holiday on King's birthday, was the only one to accept an invitation to speak at an observance of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which King headed.

"We can be slow as well to give greatness its due," McCain said. "A mistake I myself made long ago. I myself made long ago when I voted against a federal holiday in remembrance of Dr. King. I was wrong. I was wrong."

McCain added, "We all make mistakes. We all make mistakes."

On Thursday, ABC's Jake Tapper wrote about "The Complicated History of John McCain and MLK Day," and observed that the Republican presidential candidate's "views on race in the 1980s do not stand up to the sunlight of America a quarter-century later."

Today isn't the first day McCain has apologized for first voting against the holiday.

As Tapper noted, "In December 1999 McCain told NBC's Tim Russert, 'on the Martin Luther King issue, we all learn, OK? We all learn. I will admit to learning, and I hope that the people that I represent appreciate that, too. I voted in 1983 against the recognition of Martin Luther King….I regret that vote.'"

But, if it is an issue with the conservative electorate whose ass I have to kiss, I will reconsider my opinion.......
Spin, twist, swivel and turn....
You can try to be every thing to every body,
but you can only be who you really are,
Hire a PR firm to fix your image,
But they can't fix the man in the mirror....

No comments: