Saturday, June 07, 2008

Celeri Remoulade


This rather intimidating looking object which is larger than a softball is a celery root.
It is a specific type of celery grown for the root rather than the stalks and leaves called
celeriac. I have been able to find them in American vegetable markets and bought them regularly at the Farmers Market at Union Square in New York City.
Celeriac can be prepared many different ways, I've had it cut into matchstick sixed slivers and friend crisp. It can be pureed like a potato and a good way to enjoy it is to mix pureed celeriac and mashed potatoes together. It has a nutty fresh flavor when cooked.
The best way in my opinion to enjoy celeriac is raw in the classic French Celeri Remoulade.
This is a salad which is always available in charcuteries and a classic bistro side dish.
I love it and had it for lunch today with a slice of ham.
It's fairly simple, grate a celery root. The salad will keep for a day in the refrigerator.
I use a hand Moulinex with a crank.
Then you make a mayonaise. I take an egg and emulsify it with some oil and add mustard and vinegar. To make mayonaise, all the ingredients must be at room temperature. Break the egg in a bowl, use a hand whip and add oil, a little at a time until the mixture emulsifies and get s quite thick. Add a nice tablespoon of Dijon Mustard and a little vinegar to taste and thin it a little. Home made mayonaise is very easy and takes only a few minutes.
Mix the mayonaise with the grated celery root and perhaps a few branches of chopped parsley........
One of my favorite things.

2 comments:

mud_rake said...

Wow! Here I am in my mid-60's and you introduce me to a 'new' vegetable. How very interesting. Is there much of a celery flavor to this? I enjoy the celery flavor in salads and wonder if I could use celeriac instead of the stalk.

microdot said...

Well, there is a hint of celery, but the flavor is much more mild as you would expect from a root. It's a very nice cold side dish. When we have it for lunch, we often have sliced tomatoes and oil cured greek olives as a "garnish".
I know I've seen them in the Toledo area, but youu have to look.