Saturday, October 25, 2008

Rock The Vote!


Here's a Rock The Vote spot by two of my favorite artists of all time, the guitarist/performance artist known as Buckethead, who I have featured here on thebrainpoliceas well as my all time bass playing and style idol, Mr. Bootsy Collins.
Of course, Bootsy and Buckethead have been playing together for years now. They came to work together in Bill Lazwell's Praxis Project. Bootsy and Buckethead have worked with Lazwell for over 15 years now.
Buckethead as a player defies classification, at home in jazz and heavy metal and other genres, he has pretty much kept his face hidden for years including the time he spent playing with Guns and Roses.
Bootsy, well, if you don't know....The player of the epoch, Bootzilla, the smooth space ghost, they call him Caspar...He has taken the bass guitar where no man has funked before...He started playing when he was 16 and found himself working with James Brown when he was 18, playing on James seminal funk hits of the 70's.
When he quit the JB's, every one quit...He formed a band with his brother Catfish and they ended up becoming part of George Clinton's Parliament Funkadelic thang...
I just found out that he played drums on the Parliament Hit of the early 70's, Flashlight!
So this morning, the post woman drove up and stuffed a package in my mailbos and I opened it and found my very own pair of BOOTSY Mirrored Star Shaped Sunglasses!
A special gift from the nastiest master of the dozens, the evil genius of the backwood, Mr. Politeness. I put them on, I scared my dog, but my wife said that they were made for me! Thank you Mr. P!
Here's a piece called Jordan by Buckethead and Bootsy. I believe Bernie Worrell plays synthesizer and keyboards with the drummer known as The Machine.
It's pretty cool because it has a very dry live sound...very simple super bizarro mutant funk rock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I'll be damned. I have that tune, but never realized that was Bootsahhhhhh playing bass. You just learn something new every day.

P