Wednesday, December 31, 2008

YOU NEED STUFF!


In the last few weeks, I have had some drastic problems with my internet and phone service which are not resolved yet! Many aging connections are getting corroded as the line signal wends it way to and fro here at the end of the line in La Sechere.
In our attempt to communicate with the rest of the world and mainly, FranceTelecom, we were forced to finally break down and get a cell phone.
Yes, here it is the end of 2008 and I finally have to figure out how to program this rather simple cell phone. Because of the demands of the rest of the world, a cell phone became something I NEEDED!

The idea of what you need to be happy is an elusive one. Because of the rapid progress of technology and the constant drumbeat of marketing, for many people, as soon as they acquire one device, they NEED another.
Consider computers. In the 1980's, a personal computer was the cutting edge and in the 90's with the advent of the internet, it became a neccessity for most people.
I resisted computers and email...I was a graphic artist who was involved with the printing process. Until the mid 90's, I was convinced that all I needed was a sharp pencil, rulers, exacto knives and technical pens to rule the world. I was buying up end lots of press type and dot screens to do layouts.

Then, I grudgingly started to learn photoshop as the little company I worked for expanded and tried to compete in a modern market. I bought an iMac when they came out and learned I could work at home and email my work or save it on zip disks and work on it on another computer.
I still have the original iMac I bought in 1998 and I have somehow kept it running and upgraded. It made it possible for me to do freelance work here in France after I moved here.
I guess I NEED the internet and since this region of France has cheap high speed ADSL, well, I guess I NEED that as well.

As you can see, I am caught in the trap.
But, how much stuff do you own that needlessly consumes and wastes energy in the illusion that it is making your life more convenient and saving time?

Do you NEED Air Conditioning?
Do You NEED a Microwave Oven?
Do You NEED Car Air Conditioning?
Do You NEED an iPod?
Do You NEED wifi game set ups?
Do You NEED that Blackberry?
Do You NEED a Clothes Dryer?
Do You NEED to use your car as frequently as you do?
Kitchen Appliances? The Myriad of labor saving electronic devices you take for granted every day but 10 years ago, did not exist.

There is a series of surveys available on line from the PEW Research Center regarding Social and Demographic Trends and what we thing we NEED. It's interesting to see how things we considered luxuries only a few years ago are now considered neccessities and how fast the list of NEEDS has grown in the last decade.

I am happy to have a chainsaw. It gives me time to cut wood and have more time to waste at the computer. I don't have a clothes dryer, I have the sun. I never had a car with air conditioning or owned an air conditioner now that I think about it. I worry that being in an air conditioned environment will make me unable to tolerate heat.
I like to sweat.
When I was a kid, it was the cliche, the box the toy came in was more interesting that the toy. I realize we are all different, but at the end of this dizzying ride that was 2008, perhaps it is a good time to ask ourselves....
What do you really NEED?

4 comments:

Village Green said...

Excellent question!

I need (and have) a roof over my head, heat for the winter, a garden in the back, pets in the house. As for all the electronics and appliances, I try to make them last a long time and when they need replacing, go for the most efficient products. What I'm most interested in nowadays is finding items that are designed to be green from beginning to end.

My first generation Mac mini is holding up fine and I don't feel any need to replace it. Bought an external drive to expand its storage capabilities and it looks like it will last me for years to come.

microdot said...

Bonne Annee 2009, Village Green!
I know from your blog that you get my point. The things I don't get are "convenience foods", microwave ovens, dishweahsrs...I am the modern convenience in my kitchen, ask my wife.
People have lost so many skills because of the illusion that they take up time.
My biggest energy problem is making my home more heat efficient. This is a big old stone house...It's cool in the summer, but I am constantly trying to improve it's heat insulation...
We heat a fuel oil powered radiator system and a huge wood fire place.
Grudgingly, this year my goal is to put an attractive efficient wood burning insert into the fireplace.
It's an investment, but I feel that when the flue is open, I am losing as much heat ass the fireplace gives the rest house.

molly lamountain said...

I need a roof over our heads, food, heat (although if I had the money to do it, we would add wood to our heating options), clothing (almost invariably second hand), dog food and vet visits, books. My car is 10 years old so I need it to keep running. I have never owned a dishwasher, then again dishes in the sink until someone gets to them don't bother me much either. I've found a small toaster oven is more useful than a microwave. It saves heating the entire oven for something small. I can't think of anything all that essential about the microwave, although the one I have was inexpensive. I cleared out a bunch of "time saving" appliances that I never used. The breadmaker was fun for a while but then just gathered dust. We bought into some power cleaning devices, one handheld and one to "mop" floors but the hassles of using them sent me back to a mop and shop rags. I use a small handheld mixer for baking but I managed for many years with a spoon too. We own one small TV because I don't watch it. My kids have new handheld game systems. They would swear they needed those. ;) I have one window unit A/C that cools part of the house, used only for stretches of 90+ heat. Other than that, trees work well for keeping my house cool enough. I use a clothesline in the summer but I'm too big of a wimp to go out there with wet clothes when it's 20 degrees out. I can't imagine keeping this family in clean clothes without a washer. I'm guessing in days gone by, kids didn't change their clothes twice a day and throw stuff that was still clean on the floor to be washed again. We no longer have a landline phone so the cell phones are essential. With children, the ability to be reached immediately is reassuring. The one thing I probably don't need but I certainly view as one is a computer and internet access. I can justify it as a need since I help update the rescue's website and occasionally sell on ebay. Realistically I could get by with a daily stop at a library for banking or email etc, but the thought of not having it sitting here whenever I want to do something like read a blog about things I need vs things I want makes me twitch. |
Happy New Year!

microdot said...

Bonne Annee a vous, Molly!
Thanks for your comment. I think the only comments I will get on this post are from people who are already thinking about the balance of real NEEDS and things you need or want.
I want a lot of things...tools mainly. I want a new fiberglass composite handled sledge hammer among other things.
But, my life in the last few years has become a process of honing things down. I am escaping clutter.
You say that you buy second hand clothes...I do occasionally and my house is furnished by our passion for vide greniers and brocantes here in France.
I live in a very rural location, the nearest supermarket is 10 kilometers...I can use my bike for errands to our town, but try not to use the car casually. If we are going to the big town to shop, then we gang errands up...when you are dealing with the rural French custom of 2 hours for lunch, then, the logistics become a little more crazy...If it's the morning, I have to get everything done before noon, or you're out of luck until 2....

I have to have internet....
I admit, I am caught in the trap of the modern world...
I need music, I need my fix of pop culture and entertainment...

but...we are small fish in a world of energy consuming dinosaurs and when things break down, we are thge ones who keep on swimming.