Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bob Bogle


Bob Bogle, the lead guitarist of the legendary incredibly influential group, The Ventures died alst night at age 75 in Tacoma<>
The Ventures were the vanguard of Surf Rock, a particularly American genre of rock.
They had many hits, playing music that was instrumental and in the process compelling thousands of kids to pick up guitars and learn how to play like The Ventures.
Every time you hear a whammy bar bending strings on a Fender Strat, you are linked to the soul of tyhis great American artist.
There were a lot of obvious choices to post, their great hits, Pipeline, Walk,Don't Run but I think this version of Flight Of The Bumble Bee kind of sums up The Ventures: the sense of adventure, a new age of sleek American rock, able to take something old and make it totally fresh....with a great big juicy beat!

2 comments:

Engineer of Knowledge said...

Hello Microdot,
When I started playing in garage bands in my early teens, Wipe Out was one of the required songs in everyone’s repertoire. I do have to say the song, Pipe Line, was my favorite of the Venture’s songs.

Unknown said...

Wow, I haven't thought of them in years. But they were there during my formative years providing the background music.