Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sky Saxon


Almost unoticed in the media wildfire of coverage of Michael Jackson and the death of Farah Fawcett was the death on the same day of the proto psychedelic garage rocker, Sky Saxon.
Sky was born Richard Marsh in 1937 in Salt Lake City, though differnt dates are given which make him almost 10 years younger. he did start performing doo wop under the name of Little Richard Marsh in 1960. In 1962, he changed his nbame to Sky Saxon and formed a band called The Electra-Fires.

In 1965, he formed The Seeds which were one of the classic proto punk bands which have inspired kids to play music in their garages for generations. Their big hit was "Pushin'Too Hard". A classic anthemn of atttitude.

Though he recorded little and as the 60's tapered off into the 70's, Sky became stranger, joining a communal religious sect and releasing albums of tribal psychedelic music under the name Ya-Wo-Ha. There is a 13 CD set of the music.
He kept releasing records through his lifetime and in 2006, he reformed The Seeds and colaborated with Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins.
The reformed Seeds have been playing for the last few years and reviewers said that Saxon looked suprisingly youthful and sounded great.

He died unexpectedly on Wednesday of what seems to be an infection. So far his age is either listed as 63 or 72, his birthdate has still never been confirmed.

4 comments:

John Browning said...

Jeez, dot - this is bad news! I love that tune "I Can't Seem to Make A You Mine - ohhhhhhh".

Sky was so far out he was in, as they used to say. He had the inimitable vocal stylings, as they say.

I'm going to go have a talk with Lord Ganesh about Sky - if he gets reincarnated (if there is such a thing) I'm asking that he gets a better gig next time.

I gotta go dig up the 90s 45 of his I have and give it a memorial spin. First FZ, then Skip Spence, then Syd Barrett, now Sky. This ain't looking good for the future of 60s wild-men!

microdot said...

I was going to post "I Can't Seem To Make You Mine" but all I could find of videos were lip synchs from Teen Shows. This version of Pushin' hod some grit.
Skip Spence, I was listening to Oar...

I have an appointment with Lord Ganeesh on Wednesday, he's going to see what he can do about my barn when the insurance inspector comes.

Unknown said...

Wow, I know that tune, Pushin' too Hard. I didn't recognize his name though. Thanks for that fascinatiing obit.

Village Green said...

Fascinating piece of rock history -- thanks. I'd never noticed that bit of "you really got me" riff in that song before.