Thursday, March 04, 2010

59 Years Ago Today


This broadcast was from 1960 and Mr. Wizard had already been on the air since March 4, 1951. I guess I could have waited until 1961 and the 60th anniversary, but heck, I'm 59 and it's a very good year. I think this was pretty nifty episode. The little girl is full of personality and exhibits a real intellect which was a rare thing for little girsl to exhibit publically back in 1960. Usually they were sent back to the nuns for reprocessing. Mr. Wizard did a lot to advance the interest in science and the natural world in the 30 years he was on television. Generations of kids watched the show instead of the steady calvacade mindless cartoons and sit com reruns....

1 comment:

mud_rake said...

Ah, yes! I faithfully watched every episode of Mr. Wizard and I, too, became fascinated with the 'what ifs' of the scientific world.

Don Herbert was an excellent teacher and kept his young audience interested during the entire program.

Those days are sadly gone and it is replaced by the nonsense that the kids today are fed.

Thanks for the memory, Microdot! Swell stuff.