Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nifty Idea Of The Day

I spend a lot of time on my bike and somehow I seem to methodically destroy the foam hand grips on a regular basis. They just disintegrate.
Today, one fell off on the road and the other was cracked and getting ready to.
I live many miles from a bike or sports supply store...so I had an idea. I had some foam sleeves for insulating pipes. They are so cheap, and I buy it by the meter but basically, the same kind of foam. I cut 2 pieces to size and wiggled them on. They fit snuggly and are more comfortable than the official foam bike grips plus the kind of silvery grey color of the foam matches my bike finish.
When they disintegrate, I'll just cut some more!

3 comments:

steve said...

I use copper pipe styrofoam insulation - works great!

mud_rake said...

I installed two palm rests on my bike that allow me to be more upright and therefore less pressure on the grips. The pipe insulation is a great idea. Small sections are also good for the grandsons to 'play swords' without poking their eyes out.

microdot said...

Steve, that is what the foam "gants"are...for copper pipe...
I also use the strips to keep the cover on my couch in place...I stuff them in back and the sides of the cushions.
Well...as they say...great minds...