Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Qui de Nous Deux?


Sometimes pop music proves it's greatness, or it's utter banality becaue it embeds itself in your head...And it won't go away! This piece has been in my head since I first heard it in 2003.
The artist was known at the time as M. A great original songwriter and a great guitarist and pianist. He sings with a trademark trilling falsetto and during the course of his early career, created a fantasy persona which he later explained helped him to overcome his shyness on stage.
He is the son of Lebanese/French musician Louis Chedid and the grandson of the Egyptian/Lebanese poetess/writer Andree Chedid.
I posted this piece, Qui de Nous Deux?, because it was the first piece I ever heard by him and it was a monster hit in France and it has stuck in my head for years now....
I saw him last night perform a piece from his latest release Mister Mystere, called Amssetou, which for me was a revelation. The piece was really Malian African Pop and he had the Malian guitar style down.
He recently officially buried the M persona and is now Matthieu Chedid. If you go to YouTube there are few videos of his recent work with Sean Lennon including a live accoustic cover of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing. It's pretty cool.
I will post Amsseto when I find a video that does it justice, but for now you are left with the song that has driven me nuts for the last 7 years.....

No comments: