Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Tale Of Two Tarts


For me it is the end of raspberry season. I took the bird nets off the plants and Have a freezer with 67 pounds of raspberries. Listen, I gave them away, I eat them every day...
I have to admit, though, I can never get tired of raspberries. I really believe that they are a beneficial fruit. Frsh, they deliver  incredible amounts of Vitamin C.
They are full of anti oxidants. I really think that my skin has benefited from my raspberry cure....
Plus, I absolutely adore the taste. So as the daily harvest waned, my wife remembered that we hadn't really had a proper raspberry tart, which can only be made with fresh raspberries. So here are two in all of their glory. They are both variations of the classic recipe. A dessert pastry crust with a pastry creme base, covered with fresh raspberries. One is sprinkled with powdered sugar, the other is glazed with our own raspberry/cassis jam.
The glazed tart won hands down as the best raspberry tart I have ever tasted.
Last year, I published the recipe for this tart aux framboise, you can find it here. My only comment is that if you attempt it, you can make it easier by premelting the butter for the pastry. In my original recipe, I used softened butter, but make sure the melted butter cools down before you mix it with the flour. Hot butter will "cook" the flour and sugar and make a very hard crust. In my original post I used red currant jelly to glaze the tart, but obviously, you are the boss....
Bon apetit, bien sur!

4 comments:

Engineer of Knowledge said...

Oh Microdot,
The top photo looks great, a true work of art. But for those of us who really know you, that comes as no surprise.

Now you have me salivating like Pavlov's dog.

microdot said...

thank you mr. engineer...
I still have raspberries...we had almost a kilo today.
You are tyring to recreate Frenchg cuisine...I try to recreate American...it is so hot here, last night I made my Cleos Daddie's Fried Chicken...and tonight we are having it cold with cold ratatouille and my wife is making Peach melba...poached peaches with homemade vanilla ice cream, with raspberries and raspberrie/cassis preserves!
Why am I so skinny?

revere said...

OMG. I just paid 4 bucks for a little box at the Farmer's Market. They're pretty good, but those tarts . . . Give the wife a congratulatory hug for me.

mud_rake said...

Once again, Microdot! You tempt me from afar.. 'What is this I see before me..come let me clutch thee..for tho are but a figment of my imagination. [butchered Shakespeare]

Oh, to be wandering tiring and hungry on the hills and back roads of France and suddenly to come upon the home of Mr. and Mrs. Microdot...