Friday, November 05, 2010

Nessun Dorma


Jeff Beck performing the Puccini Aria, Nessun Dorma from the Opera Turandot at the New Orleans Jazz Festival in February of this year. Again, the guitar in his hands becomes human.
Nobody shall sleep!...
Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o Princess,
in your cold room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!

2 comments:

Engineer of Knowledge said...

Hello Microdot,
Funny, I just happen to be listening to Jeff Beck CD in my car right now. It was recorded in 2008 and I think his daughter is playing bass. You can tell that her Daddy taught her well because there are a couple of smoking hot bass solos in a coupe of the tracks.

There is also a remake of the classic song, "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" which is one of my favorite from some of his earlier work.

microdot said...

I bet the bass player was Tal Wilkenfield, an Australian lass, who is a true prodigy and very pretty as well.
He seems to have a real penchant for finding extremely talented women to work with, earlier in the decade, he recorded some of his most techno oriented work with the guitarist, Jennifer Batten. Batten is a real monster!
She first came to light playing with Michael Jackson, but went way beyond the demands of his music, she is a fusion genius.
Wilkenfield is destined to become one of the great electric bass payers of our era as well...
Kudos to Beck to giving women a chance to make their mark in a overly male oriented industry.
He knows how to pick 'em...get a load of the bass player in his currrent band!