Monday, May 21, 2012

The Culprit

Due to popular demand, my annoying little buddy, the Huppe...or Hoopoe...what ever he would like to be called is making his appearance here. For years, in the I would hear huppes making their repetitive, almost totally mechanical territorial chant...hoop, hoop, hoop....hoop, hoop, hoop...hoop, hoop. hoop...etc, etc...Occasionally, I would see a huppe...they like to hang out in the same place everyday. Usually a bright sunny location. They like to take dust baths. I'm told that their best defense, if cornered is projectile vomiting. They are the snazziest dressers. The flashy mohawk crest instantly unfurls when they show the least bit of emotion. They have the one of the coolest scientific names I have ever run across, Upupa epops. A very small family of birds that are comprised of 3 species that extend from Madagascar into Eurasia. This little guy is called in French, Le Huppe fasciee.  So, on Friday, I was in the house and heard what I thought was an electronic device beeping away in the attic. It was so regular, it sounded like someone's cell phone beeping....
I could not figure out what it was and went into the attic to see if there was something making the noise. The noise stopped. Later, it started again. Back up into the attic, then, I realized it was coming from outside...I raced out and saw a huppe on the chimney! Hoopin his little brains out...
After a an afternoon of patient stalking, with my wife's good camera, I got this photo...He was back again..Hoop, hoop, hoop....hoop, hoop, hoop...hoop, hoop, hoop...hoop, hoop, hoop...I think he likes it here...............

4 comments:

J.O.B. said...

Dottie- Judging by the pictures you've posted of your place. I must say, I'd like it too. :)

Ol'Buzzard said...

great pic.
the Ol'Buzzard

dog gone said...

You need a sound recording posted with the picture next! Buy your wife a camera that does both still and video; most of those have the sound recording for the vids.

Pretty bird; hard to get a sense of size from the photo.

microdot said...

I'd say it was the size of large jay. Now I'm taking pictures of wild orchids! It's the season.