Thursday, November 07, 2013

I Am Actually A Frogs Pet Human

Though huge in this video, these little guys rarely get bigger than 2.5 cm...but for such a little animal, they have a loud bark!  I have been seeing more and more of them lately around here and find them hopping around the house. This sort of peaked last night, when I rescued 14 of them of various sizes, some barely a centimeter long hopping around the floor of my 2nd floor "office". I have to admit, they are the cutest little guys. It made me wonder, why they appeared here and I wanted to know more about them. The first thing I learned is that European Green Tree Frogs can live for 15 years! They are considered an endangered specie! They are threatened by pollution, the increase in UV radiation and pesticides. If they are an endangered specie, then why do they like it here? People keep them as pets and go to great lengths to create a perfect environment for them. I seem to have unwittingly done just that. They need a source of water to breed, but after that they are totally terrestrial and their digital pads allow them to climb up into trees. I have given them the perfect environment by putting plastic flower boxes on my windows filled with lush geraniums. The boxes have a reservoir with wicks that keep the soil moist and a pipe to fill the reservoir with...that's the ticket! The little frogs breed in the reservoirs and live in the window boxes. In the winter, they hibernate and can tolerate almost drying out in their dormant state. Traditionally, they are regarded as a sort of living barometer. They begin croaking before it rains. I first realized they were in the house when I heard croaking and tried to finds the source...If they are endangered and threatened by pollution, then I am very thankful they like it here. This is a very unpolluted place. I use no pesticides in my gardening. Everything is covered with lichens and moss. The longer I have lived here, the more species of birds I see. Maybe many people keep these little striped green tree frogs as pets, but I would like to think that they are keeping me as their pet human....
Two Frogs Outside The Window

1 comment:

Ol'Buzzard said...

frogs are neat.
the Ol'Buzzard