Friday, October 31, 2014

I was at this show 46 years ago at The Grande Ballroom
in Detroit.  This was actually the second appearance by The Jeff Beck Group that year. I was and still am a real fan of Jeff ever since he was a member of the Yardbirds. I had seen him on stage with Jimmy Page in that legendary lineup in Detroit in late 1966. There are a lot of great guitarists out there, but after I had seen Beck, I knew I had heard the future. One of the few distinctive instrumentalists who you can identify after only hearing a few notes. Check out Becks Boogie around the 20 minute mark...it still cracks me up when in his manic solo breaks, he breaks into the Beverly Hillbillies Theme! In 2014, Beck still is the cutting edge. Fresh and adventurous as the innovative kid he was then.  The poster was by the great Gary Grimshaw!

No comments: